Essential® Fresh is a new technology based on the post-baking application of live yeast to packaged baked goods. It is produced of a strain of “Saccharomyces cerevisiae”. The yeast remains viable on the surface of the product and creates a controlled atmosphere within the package inhibiting mold growth and extending shelf-life. The primary mechanism of Essential® Fresh extending mold-free shelf-life is based on this viable yeast converting residual ethanol to mold-inhibiting metbolites.
After baking, cooling, and slicing, and before packaging, a prepared solution of Essential® Fresh is sprayed on the surface of the product to inhibit mold growth to extend mold-free shelf-life.
Essential® Fresh can also contribute to an enhanced taste and aroma.
- Clean label
- Natural solution
- Lower cost in use vs. traditional mold inhibitors
- Label change is not required for products already containing yeast
- Complete coverage is not required
- Can be applied with simple spray equipment
- Shelf life similar to calcium propionate if used by itself
- Synergistic effect to further extend shelf life when used in combination with other mold inhibitors