HEALTH CLAIMS AUTHORIZED IN EUROPE FOR VITAMIN D:
- It contributes to normal absorption of calcium and phosphorus
- It contributes to normal blood calcium levels
- It contributes to the maintenance of normal bones
- It contributes to the maintenance of normal muscle function
- It contributes to the maintenance of normal teeth
- It contributes to the normal function of the immune system and inflammation response
- It has a role in the process of cell division
To achieve the above mentioned beneficial effects, one should consume 100% of the Recommended Intake of vitamin D equivalent to 5 µg of vitamin D per day.
Questions and answers
- How Much Vitamin D does Lallemand VitaD® yeast contain?
Depending on the product and type of yeast, Lallemand VitaD® yeast contain between 45µg of vitamin D per 100g of cube yeast up to > 300µg of vitamin D per 100g of block yeast. The content is stated in the nutrition declaration provided with the product.
- How much vitamin D does bread baked with Lallemand VitaD® Yeast contain?
The content varies with recipes and type of yeast used. 100 g of bread baked with Lallemand VitaD® cubes yeast (typically 3.3 g) will cover 30% of your daily need for vitamin D (1.5 µg). This typically corresponds to a yeast dosage of 50 g of yeast per 1 kg flour.
We will gladly provide you with a vitamin D calculator and help you to estimate the vitamin D content you will end up with in your final baked products when using our yeast.
- How high must the vitamin D content be in order that I may advertise its inclusion?
EU Labelling Regulation No. 1169/2011 indicates that a minimum of 15 percent of the Recommended Daily Allowance in 100 grams (i.e. 0,75 micrograms of vitamin D) may be advertised with the words “contains vitamin D” or “source of vitamin D”, and a minimum of 30 percent of the daily requirement in 100 grams (i.e. 1,5 micrograms of vitamin D) with the words “high source of vitamin D”.
- What is the reference intake for vitamin D?
The reference intake for vitamin D in Europe is 5 µg per day. Those are also the base for any advertisement within the EU. However, several European countries recommend even higher values. E.g. the Nordic nutrition recommendations are 10 micrograms for age 2-74 and the recommended values in Germany, Austria and Switzerland are even 20 micrograms.
- Does vitamin D survive the baking process?
Stability studies confirm that vitamin D is heat stable. The content of vitamin D in bread baked with vitamin D yeast is not affected by baking and is stable for up to 14 days after baking.
- Do I need to adjust my baking recipes?
No – Lallemand VitaD® yeast contains the same good baking properties as our conventional baker’s yeast and can be used in all recipes. Try it out!